Princess Beatrice Married Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi in a Secret Wedding at Windsor Castle

UPDATE 7/17/20, 8:32 AM: The palace confirmed Princess Beatrice’s wedding in a statement. 

“The private wedding ceremony of Princess Beatrice and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi took place at 11am on Friday 17th July at The Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor,” the statement read. “The small ceremony was attended by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and close family. The wedding took place in accordance with all relevant Government Guidelines.”

Royal reporter Omid Scobie tweeted that a photo of the bride and groom will likely be released on July 18. 

Original Story: Surprise! Princess Beatrice is married. Multiple British outlets are reporting that Beatrice married her fiancé, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, this morning (July 17) in a secret wedding at Windsor Castle this morning. (Buckingham Palace has yet to confirm the ceremony.)  

Queen Elizabeth’s granddaughter, whose parents are Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, previously had to postpone her big royal wedding earlier this spring due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

Details are just beginning to roll in, but Daily Mail royal reporter Rebecca English says the queen and Prince Philip were spotted being driven on the Windsor estate this morning and are believed to have been in attendance at the wedding. “Beatrice and Edo had planned to get married at the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace but instead exchanged vows at All Saints Chapel in Windsor Great Park in an intimate ceremony, with strict social distancing measures in place,” she also tweeted.

Princess Beatrice and Mapelli Mozzi announced their engagement last September. “We are extremely happy to be able to share the news of our recent engagement,” they said in a statement released by Buckingham Palace at the time. “We are both so excited to be embarking on this life adventure together and can’t wait to be married. We share so many similar interests and values and we know this will stand us in great stead for the years ahead, full of love and happiness.” 

By March, they had to call off the big day due to COVID-19. “Beatrice and Mr. Mapelli Mozzi are very much looking forward to getting married but are equally aware of the need to avoid undertaking any unnecessary risks in the current circumstances,” a palace spokesperson said in a statement. “‘In line with government advice for the U.K. and beyond, the couple are reviewing their arrangements. They are particularly conscious of government advice in relation to both the well-being of older family members and large gatherings of people. Therefore, the planned reception in the Buckingham Palace Gardens will not take place.”

“The couple will carefully consider government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place amongst a small group of family and friends,” the statement continued.

Now, it looks like they’ve found a way to get married safely and with at least some of their family around. 

Congrats, you two! 

This post may be updated as new details emerge. 

XL subscribe to our newsletter banner

Get the latest news and advice on COVID-19, direct from the experts in your inbox. Join hundreds of thousands who trust experts by subscribing to our newsletter.

Send your news and stories to us news@climaxradio.co.uk or newstories@climaxnewsroom.com and WhatsApp: +447747873668.

Before you go...

Democratic norms are being stress-tested all over the world, and the past few years have thrown up all kinds of questions we didn't know needed clarifying – how long is too long for a parliamentary prorogation? How far should politicians be allowed to intervene in court cases? To monitor these issues as closely as we have in the past we need your support, so please consider donating to The Climax News Room.