Man dies from injuries after police ‘break his neck’ during ‘violent’ arrest

Man dies from injuries after police ‘break his neck’ during ‘violent’ arrest
Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz”,”buttonText”:”Sign up”,”contentId”:6314564,”newsletterImage”:””,”endpointUrl”:””,”profile”:”Default”,”isPure360NewsLetter”:false,”pure360MailingListId”:”Default”,”newsletterSiteName”:”Mirror”}” data-mod=”skinnySignup”>

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Invalid Email

A man died after police allegedly broke his neck as they arrested him, before holding up his head to take his mugshot.

Jorge Gonzalez Zuniga died three months after his custody photo was taken, with his grieving family blaming “brutal, unreasonable and excessive force” used during his detention.

The 23-year-old’s picture shows his head being held straight by a pair of gloved hands, after police brought him in following reports of a dispute in Texas, US, April.

According to a lawsuit by his loved ones, officers “tackled and assaulted” Zuniga before crushing his neck at the scene.

They then “handcuffed him and put him in ankle restraints, intentionally tripped him while shackled, and Tasered him for a second time”, it is claimed.

Swelling is visible in the second mug shot released

It is claimed no-one checked on him in his cell for 21 hours and he was only taken to hospital after being discovered unresponsive.

Zuniga then underwent ‘multiple’ surgeries and his family say he had to be connected to a ventilator because he could not breathe on his own.

But on June 15 he died of a heart attack due to complications from his injuries, they said.

In a statement through his lawyer, his mother said: “Every day that I would see him in the hospital bed, not being able to move, would kill me.

The 23-year-old died in hospital three months later

“They took my companion – the love of my life.

“I just ask for fair justice because he was a human being, not an animal. He didn’t deserve to suffer the way he did and no one does.

“He was only 23 and had a one-year-old child. He will never play with his son again.”

The Texas said said at the time they were investigating the case.

According to local news outlet The Monitor, a Hidalgo County grand jury voted on August 20 not to indict the arresting officer for manslaughter.

XL subscribe to our newsletter banner

Get the latest news and advice on COVID-19, direct from the experts in your inbox. Join hundreds of thousands who trust experts by subscribing to our newsletter.

Send your news and stories to us or and WhatsApp: +447747873668.

Before you go...

Democratic norms are being stress-tested all over the world, and the past few years have thrown up all kinds of questions we didn't know needed clarifying – how long is too long for a parliamentary prorogation? How far should politicians be allowed to intervene in court cases? To monitor these issues as closely as we have in the past we need your support, so please consider donating to The Climax News Room.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments