- The easiest way to retrieve deleted emails from Yahoo is by quickly going to the Trash folder and undeleting them.
- If the email is lost or not in your Trash folder, you can submit a request to Yahoo to restore your account so you can recover those messages.
- You have seven days to submit a restore request with Yahoo, and restorations aren’t always successful.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Keeping a Yahoo Mail inbox tidy is no easy task.
Depending on how many messages you’ve got, deleting emails on Yahoo can be a tedious task — especially if you delete an email that you later regret losing.
But if you act fast enough, there are ways you can recover deleted emails by retrieving them from your Trash folder. If the message is lost or not in your Trash folder, you have a seven-day grace period to submit a request to Yahoo to help you restore the email.
Here’s how to undelete emails from Yahoo, or submit a request for Yahoo to help you recover lost emails. You can do this through any browser on your Mac and PC, or via the mobile app on iPhone and Android devices.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699 at Apple)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $699.99 at Walmart)
Apple Macbook Pro (From $1,299.00 at Apple)
Acer Chromebook 15 (From $179.99 at Walmart)
How to undelete emails from Yahoo via desktop
To save server space, Yahoo won’t cling to your deleted emails forever. Yahoo automatically clears your Trash and Spam folders after a certain period of time — Trashed emails delete after seven days, while spam emails delete after 30 days — and these settings can’t be changed.
Whenever you delete an email, Yahoo moves it to your Trash folder, where it sits for seven days. The easiest way to retrieve any deleted emails is to undelete the email from that folder.
1. Open Yahoo Mail in a web browser.
2. In the left-hand navigation pane, click “Trash.”
3. Find and select the email you want to retrieve by clicking the checkbox to the left of the sender’s name.
4. With the checkbox still marked, select “Restore to Inbox,” from the list of options at the top of your inbox.
Your selected emails will now be available in your inbox.
How to undelete emails from Yahoo via the mobile app
1. In the Yahoo Mail app for iOS or Android, open the navigation menu by tapping the icon on the bottom left of your screen.
2. Once the navigation menu appears, tap “Trash.”
3. Open the message you want to retrieve.
4. Tap “Move” and select “Inbox.”
5. Your selected email is now available in your inbox.
How to recover lost emails with a Yahoo Restore Request
If you’re not able to find a deleted email in your Trash folder, you can submit a restore request to Yahoo.
There’s a possibility — albeit no guarantee — that Yahoo will be able to find and restore the email if you take these steps.
1. Open a Restore Request form via the Yahoo Help Central.
2. Specify in the required form whether you deleted the message in the mobile or desktop Yahoo Mail platform, and the approximate time frame when you last the saw message.
3. Enter your Yahoo ID, and an email address that you have access to.
4. Select “Create Request” to finalize your request.
If successful, the recovered message will be added back to the folder it was in previously. Check your Trash folder if you can’t find a message after the restoration is complete.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to add contacts to your Yahoo Mail account manually in 2 ways
How to send an email on Yahoo from your computer or mobile device using the free Yahoo Mail service
How to change your signature in Yahoo Mail and update your contact information for recipients
How to delete all of your email on Yahoo Mail or easily archive your inbox
How to change your Yahoo account password or reset it if you’ve forgotten it
Get the latest Yahoo stock price here.
Insider Inc. receives a commission when you buy through our links.
Send your news and stories to us firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and WhatsApp: +447747873668.
Before you go...
Democratic norms are being stress-tested all over the world, and the past few years have thrown up all kinds of questions we didn't know needed clarifying – how long is too long for a parliamentary prorogation? How far should politicians be allowed to intervene in court cases? To monitor these issues as closely as we have in the past we need your support, so please consider donating to The Climax News Room.